MASTER OF THEOLOGY (MTh) - Serampore Affiliated
The Master of Theology degree is a residential two-year postgraduate-level degree programme which is designed to equip persons for teaching in theological colleges, to provide the knowledge and skills necessary for meeting the needs of different forms of ministry and to develop academic proficiency for independent research. Specialization is available in the Old Testament, New Testament, Christian Theology, History of Christianity, Christian Ministry (Pastoral Counselling), and Missions. (Specializations are subject to the availability of the concerned department faculty.)
Pre-requisites for admission to MTh programmes:
MTh (Senate of Serampore College [University])
- Candidate should have secured a minimum B minus overall grade (i.e. 52.5%) in B.D. (Senate of
Serampore) and must have a B grade (i.e. 57.5%) average in the cluster/branch in which the candidate
is seeking admission.
- Candidate who does not fulfill the above mentioned academic criteria must pass the qualifying exam
conducted by the Senate and obtain an eligibility certificate in order to pursue the MTh programme.
- All candidates should have involved in church or any other form of ministry for a
minimum period of one year after BD.
Additional Qualifications (specific to certain branches):
- For M.Th in Old Testament and New Testament, the candidate should have passed at least two
exegetical papers in Biblical languages (i.e. Hebrew for OT and Greek for NT) with an average of B
grade (i.e. 57.5%)
- For Christian Theology, the candidate should have passed in either BB012 (Biblical Hebrew –
Advanced) or BBN02 (Greek Advanced).
- Candidates should hold a first or second-class BD from an institution affiliated with the Senate of Serampore College with one-year ministerial experience after BD for both Male and Female applicants. Also, qualify for the entrance examination set by UBS. Candidates should have an overall average grade of at least B (60%) and secure the second class of at least B (60%) in three papers in the branch he or she plans to do M. Th. Note: For details regarding registration and language requirements, see Regulations relating to the Degree of Master of Theology, Senate of Serampore.
MASTER OF THEOLOGY (ThM) - Asia Theological Association
The Master of Theology is a residential two-year postgraduate-level degree programme. This is designed basically for students aiming for ministerial skills and advanced theological learning. This course is offered in the areas of Old Testament, New Testament, Christian Theology, History of Christianity, Christian Ministry (Christian Education & Counselling) and Missions. (Specializations are subject to the availability of the concerned department faculty.)
MTh (Asia Theological Association)
- Candidate should have obtained B grade or High Second Division in M.Div./B.D.
- Candidate having a B minus grade in M.Div. or B.D. should pass qualifying papers, consisting of
Biblical Studies, Theology and Christian Ministry securing average grade B plus.
- Proficiency in the appropriate language for the field of study (i.e. Hebrew for Old Testament and
Greek for New Testament) is required.
- Candidate should have ministerial experience after M.Div. or B.D.